63rd session of the UNCTAD Trade and Development Board
Item 3: Investment and Development - UNCTAD Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation
The UNCTAD Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation will be the topic of the high-level discussion in the upcoming 63rd session of the UNCTAD Trade and Development Board (TDB) under item 3: Investment and Development. The meeting will take place on 6 December 2016 and will benefit from the insights shared by two panels, following general group statements:
- Panel 1: Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation - The stakeholders' perspective
- Panel 2: Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation - A review of policy practices from the field
The panellists' presentations will be followed by an interactive debate among delegates and panellists on the topic, looking at national, regional and interregional perspectives.
For more information on the meeting content, please refer to the Draft Agenda.
There is consensus on the critical role of private investment in contributing to achieving sustainable development objectives. To date, most policy interventions for attracting investment have focused on investment promotion. At the international level, the investment facilitation dimension is either absent or weak in the overwhelming majority of international investment agreements. Therefore, for an investment attraction strategy to be effective, investment promotion needs to go hand in hand with investment facilitation efforts, both at the national and international policy levels.
To that end, UNCTAD formulated the Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation. Originally launched in January 2016, and subsequently included in UNCTAD’s June 2016 World Investment Report, the updated Action Menu is the result of an extensive process of field testing, peer reviewing and intergovernmental consensus building. This process benefited from UNCTAD’s 14th Ministerial Conference (UNCTAD 14) as well as the 5th World Investment Forum (WIF) held in Nairobi, Kenya, from 17 to 21 July 2016, and involved high-level policymakers from developing, developed and transition economies, the private sector and intergovernmental organizations.
Date: 6 December 2016
Location: Room XXVI, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
For more information: please contact us at: WIF_IIA_Conference@unctad.org
- Introductory presentation by Mr. James Zhan, Director, Division on Investment and Enterprise, UNCTAD
- Presentation by Mr. Stefano Bertasi, Executive Director, Department of Policy and Business Practices, International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- Presentation by Mr. Renato Rezende de Campos Souza, Deputy Director, Department of International Negotiations, Ministry of Development, Industry and Foreign Trade, Brazil
- Presentation by Dr. Christoph Sprich, Senior Manager, International Trade and Development, B20/Federation of German Industries (BDI), Germany
- Position paper by Federation of German Industries (BDI), Germany
- Presentation by Mr. Fredrick Matwan'ga on behalf of Mr. Moses Ikiara, Kenya Investment Authority
- Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation, UNCTAD (2016), available in [English], [French] and [Spanish]
- Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation: Note on Peer Reviews and Multi-Stakeholder Dialogue, UNCTAD (2016)
- Presentation on Investment Facilitation by James Zhan, 6 December 2016
- Aftercare: A Core Function in Investment Promotion, UNCTAD(2007)
- Investment Promotion Agencies as Policy Advocates, UNCTAD(2007)
- Evaluating Investment Promotion Agencies, UNCTAD (2008)
- Creating Business Linkages: A Policy Perspective, UNCTAD (2010)
- Transparency - UNCTAD Series on Issues in InternationalInvestment Agreements II, UNCTAD (2012)
- InvestmentFacilitation: A Global Action Menu, James Zhan, Blog post (May 2016)
- InvestmentFacilitation: Policies and Practices, UNCTAD, Blog post (September 2016)