UNCTAD Annual High-level IIA Conference - Phase 2 of IIA Reform
Phase 2 of IIA Reform
Sustainable development-oriented IIA reform has made significant progress, with many countries now following UNCTAD’s Road Map for IIA Reform (phase 1 of IIA reform). However, much work remains to be done to modernize the existing stock of “old-generation” IIAs (phase 2 of IIA reform). The World Investment Report 2017 sets out and discusses 10 options to reform old-generation treaties that countries can adapt and adopt in line with their specific reform objectives.
As a follow up to the 2016 High-level IIA Conference at the Fifth World Investment Forum (WIF) held in Nairobi, Kenya, where countries called upon UNCTAD to assist in addressing the challenges arising from old-generation treaties, the October 2017 High-level IIA Conference will:
- Take stock of reform areas and available policy options
- Share experiences and identify best practices for phase 2 of IIA reform
- Chart the way forward for sustainable development-oriented IIA reform
The conference will comprise a combination of high-level plenary sessions and breakout working sessions, coupled with lunch time-events. The high-level plenary sessions will be live-webcasted, and ample time will be provided for networking. Speakers and attendees will include high-level IIA negotiators from developing, transition and developed countries; and key representatives from intergovernmental organizations, civil society, academia and the private sector.
Two lunch time side events will be hosted by the European Commission and the United Nations Economic Commission for Africa (UNECA).
Monday, 9 October, 13:15-14:45, Room XXVI, "Multilateral Reform of ISDS: Possible paths forward," hosted by the European Commission. The event will focus on the background and need for a multilateral reform of ISDS, objectives, possible features and next steps, followed by a discussion.
Tuesday, 10 October, 13:15-14:45, Room XXVI, "The Pan African Investment Code (PAIC) and the investment chapter of the Continental Free Trade Area (CFTA): Opportunities for rationalizing investment regulation in Africa," hosted by UNECA. Agenda here.
Outcomes and key documents: here
Location: Room XXVI, Palais des Nations, Geneva, Switzerland
For more information, contact us at: WIF_IIA_Conference@unctad.org
- UNCTAD Background Note: "Reform of the international investment agreement regime: Phase 2" (available in English; French; Spanish; Chinese; Russian; Arabic)
UNCTAD's policy tools for IIA reform:
- Phase 2 of IIA Reform: Modernizing the existing stock of old-generation treaties (chapter III of the World Investment Report 2017)
- Road Map for IIA Reform
- Global Action Menu for Investment Facilitation
- Investment Policy Framework for Sustainable Development
Earlier UNCTAD events on sustainable development-oriented IIA reform:
- October 2014: High-level IIA Conference at the Fourth World Investment Forum, Geneva, Switzerland
- February 2015: Expert Meeting on the Transformation of the IIA Regime, Geneva, Switzerland
- March 2016: Multi-year Expert Meeting: Taking Stock of IIA Reform, Geneva, Switzerland
- July 2016: High-level IIA Conference at the Fifth World Investment Forum, Nairobi, Kenya
- December 2016: 63rd Session of the UNCTAD Trade and Development Board, Geneva, Switzerland